Contributors

Visit My Campaign Website

Click Here to visit my campaign website - http://webpages.charter.net/lechler27.




Monday, October 18, 2010

ENDORSEMENTS

For many years I have felt that our area newspapers, such as The Sheboygan Press, have been failing to provide straight-forward information about topics in our state government. I have criticized our Assemblymen and Senators for not putting the facts into The Sheboygan Press so citizens would get more information, i.e. the good weekly articles Joe Leibham puts in the Delta Publication Tri-County News. When I asked our elected officials about this they told me they had tried but there was no interest on the part of The Sheboygan Press. Finding that hard to believe, I called The Sheboygan Press editor some time ago and he confirmed that they would rather not publish articles from elected officials.


After I decided to run as an Independent Candidate for the 27th Assembly District, I thought that the Sheboygan Press, which serves much of the district area, would be interested in comments. After numerous phone calls and visiting The Sheboygan Press offices, I was told they were not interested. Therefore, I found this last minute, 10/13/10, e-mail both interesting and odd.

The following is their e-mail request:


Dear Jack:

The Sheboygan Press editorial board will make endorsements in state and congressional elections in November. 
Because our board includes citizen members, we only meet once a week, which makes it difficult to personally interview all of the candidates. Therefore, we are asking each of the candidates to answer a few questions and return the answers to us via e-mail. 
We will go over each submission and I will ask any needed follow-up questions by phone or e-mail.
We ask you to be specific in your answers and include any specific measures you would propose to accomplish your goals and objectives.
Please return your answers to my e-mail:
jgulig@sheboyganpress.com<mailto: jgulig@sheboyganpress.com>.  I prefer the answers in a Microsoft Word document format.  If you have any questions, please call me.
Thank you in advance for your participation.
Please return your answers by Monday, Oct 18

Joe Gulig 
Editorial page editor
The Sheboygan Press
(920) 453-5191

Questions:

How would you cover the anticipated deficit projected in the next budget and ensure that the state doesn't continue to run a so-called structural deficit?

How do you propose to fund the state's share of public education?

There has been a great deal of talk about job creation.  How can the state help create private sector jobs?

Wisconsin is said to be a high-tax state for businesses.  Do you favor lowering corporate income taxes?  (if yes, how do you make up for the decrease in revenue?)

Do you favor lowering personal income taxes?  (If yes, how do you make up for the decrease in revenue?)

What is your position on state shared revenue with local government?

What is your position on public access to court records of people who have been found not guilty or the charges have been dropped?

What is your position on public funding of Supreme Court races to eliminate the influence of special-interest money?

What is your position on requiring all groups who seek to influence elections follow the same requirement to disclose the names of donors that now applies to candidates and political action committees?

Do you favor a non-partisan commission to redraw congressional district boundaries and boundaries for assembly and state senate districts, or should this be done by the state Legislature as it is now?

Joe Gulig 
Opinion page editor
The Sheboygan Press
632 Center Ave.
Sheboygan, WI  53081
(920) 453-5191

My response via e-mail:

Dear Mr. Gulig,


As you are aware from my previous phone calls, letters and visits to your office, I was very interested, beginning in July, in presenting comments, views and input about issues, subjects and situations which are of great concern to the citizens of the 27th Assembly District, as well as to all of us living in Wisconsin. Up to this time, and until this current request and list of questions suggesting you would evaluate me for endorsement, I was politely told each time by your newspaper that comments, views and input from me, a candidate, were not of interest and would not be accepted.


I made a determination early in my candidacy that I did not want to solicit and seek funding or endorsements. I have tried to be sincere, honest and factual in all of the meetings, debates and contacts I have made. I have stated information about myself and issues on my website and blog.


I thank you for your consideration, request for comment and offer to analyze me for your endorsement, however, I respectfully decline since I am not seeking an endorsement.


Sincerely,
Jack Lechler
INDEPENDENT Candidate for Assembly District 27


P.S.
Please be advised, if you desire to publish this response as a Letter to the Editor (if it is done in its entirety), it is acceptable to me. Do not, however, misquote, paraphrase or take out-of-context any portion of this response.