Contributors

Visit My Campaign Website

Click Here to visit my campaign website - http://webpages.charter.net/lechler27.




Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tri-County News Page 3 was Interesting

If you read or did not read Page 3 in the October 7th issue of the Tri-County News, I would encourage you to go back and look at it.  On this page you were able to see two interesting scenarios.

OBSERVATION 1 - Involvement at the Local Government Level

There was an article written about the county meeting and the discussions regarding the construction of a county building in a fiscally responsible manner and the public sentiment about it.  Also, wages for employees and pay increases in a depressed economy were discussed.  It is obvious that emotions, common sense, compassion, appreciation for service, economics, budgeting, business climate, etc. all needed consideration.  A government of the people, by the people and for the people was clearly working.


We need more citizens attending meetings of school boards, town boards, city and county government.   We need more citizens calling and advising their government representatives of their needs, wants and feelings.  I had the opportunity to attend several township meetings recently.  These can truly be the root and heart of returning to strong local government.  I have been very impressed by the common sense approaches, concern for the people and dedication shown by town officials.  The local government officials need to make certain they continue to represent the people.  My observation is that as we step-up to the next higher level of government, the representatives seem to develop a greater disconnect with “the people”.  Our public officials need to LISTEN to and act on behalf of the people they represent.

OBSERVATION 2 - Fox Valley Sign

Now for the other part of Page 3.  Directly below the county story you will see a picture of a Fox Valley sign being erected.  On the day this sign was being installed, I was driving into Chilton.  I looked at the activity and said to myself, “Wow – look at the truck, the big sign and the workers – this must be expensive – I wonder why it is being put up and what it costs?”


About an hour later, I decided to call the Fox Valley Technical College, Chilton Center, and ask about the sign.  I spoke with a lady who advised me that she was not familiar with the details.  However, she suggested I call 920-735-4819 and speak with Jan Oakey in Appleton.  I then called Jan and asked two questions.  Why did we need a new sign and how much did it cost?  Jan agreed to research it and call me back.  Here is the information she gave me.

We needed a new sign because the other sign was older and needed replacing.  The new sign would be used for information and advertising.  The cost of this new sign shown on Page 3 of the newspaper is $45,000.

I don’t know about you, but I think $45,000 is a heck of a lot of money.  The caption under the picture indicates the sign will clearly identify the school to passersby.  I would like to point out that the name of the school is quite clearly identified ON the building and that anyone trying to find the school should be able to look up the address and find it.  Quite frankly, we should not need to advertise to “passersby”. 

Having had my interest peaked, I asked Jan who administers the signage and sign replacement.  She advised that Fox Valley has set up a Signage Committee to perform this task.  She said that they have a 5–year plan.  I asked her what the “Signage Budget” is and she told me it is only $190,000 per year.  Let’s see, $190,000 times five years – golly gee, that’s $950,000 (almost a million) just for signs for passersby.

Now, just to link topics 1 and 2 found on page 3.  We may not agree with our town, city, and county boards, but we can call our officials, vote for them, run in opposition to them, or vote on referendums for projects and buildings.

Now, look at your tax bills.  You have a line item for Tech Schools and you can do NONE of the foregoing options relative to those costs or the associates functions, operations or expenditures.  The Tech Schools are vital.   I support their purpose and role but their budgets and salaries are not subject to scrutiny by the people.

I hope you enjoy the sign – you paid for it!

I would encourage you to listen to the Jerry Schneider Radio Show for the next three weeks.  That’s WMBE in Chilton, 1530-AM on the dial, Saturday mornings 7:00 to 10:00.

Let’s keep our elected officials working and listening to the people.